What Do You Do if You Get Hit By an Uninsured Driver?

Did you know that approximately 13% of drivers across the country fail to carry auto insurance coverage? Last week, we discussed what can happen to you if you get caught out on the road without car insurance. But what happens if you’re fully covered and you wind up in an accident with someone who isn’t? Hopefully, you’ll never be in an accident with an uninsured driver—but if you are, it’s important that you know how to react.

Stay on the Scene

Typically, you’d simply exchange your insurance information with the driver and file the appropriate claims—but when the other driver isn’t insured, your best bet is to get as much contact information from him or her as possible and staying on the scene until police arrive.

If the person who hit you flees the scene, do not chase after them. Instead, try to get an accurate description of the driver and the vehicle (as well as a license plate, if possible) to provide to police.

File a Police Report

Whether you live in a no-fault state or not, you’ll want to file a formal police report any time you’re involved in an auto accident with an uninsured driver. Should you decide to file charges or seek reimbursement from the driver down the road, you’ll need to have a police report on file. A police report will also confirm that the other driver did not have insurance at the time of the accident.

Contact Your Insurance Agent

Once you’ve filed your police report, it’s time to call your own auto insurance agent to report the accident. This is also a good time to review your policy details for underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage. Many states require drivers to carry this type of coverage along with their standard insurance coverage—and it can help to cover some expenses related to your accident.

Typically, underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage doesn’t cover medical expenses, but it can help with property damage costs. If you have this type of coverage, your insurance agent will walk you through the process of filing your claim. In most cases, you’ll need to obtain a copy of the police report to get started.

Consider Filing Charges

If you still have leftover expenses after your car insurance has paid out, you may want to consider filing charges and seeking reimbursement from the uninsured driver who caused the accident in the first place. This may be recommended in situations where you have medical expenses or related costs that were not covered by your own insurance in the accident. If you decide to go this route, you’ll want to consult with an experienced attorney.

Being in an accident with an uninsured driver can be a real headache, but it’s important to understand your options. For more information or to make sure you have the coverage you need to protect against uninsured drivers, contact the Daniels team today.


About Daniels Insurance, Inc.

At Daniels Insurance, Inc., we have a unique understanding of the risks that businesses like yours face on a regular basis. With the backing of our comprehensive coverages and our dedication to customer service and quick claims resolution, your business will be fully protected. For more information, contact us today at (855) 565-7616.